Broadford woodland management
A chance to open up a new area of communal land
The purchase of the 23ha Community Woodland was a once in a lifetime opportunity for the residents of Broadford and Strath. It had the potential to bring the community together and build a stronger, self-sustaining village.
The plans and ideas of our community had been held back due to a lack of land and this purchase gave the Broadford and Strath Community Company a chance to open up a new area of communal land upon where some of our ambitions could be realised.
The Forestry Commission Scotland agreed to sell the land. The sale went through in October 2011.
Initial ideas for the community woodland included:
- Woodland regeneration, removal of invasive and non-native vegetation, regenerating native, mixed woodland
- Network of paths, nature trails and mountain bike tracks
- Community-run campsite
- A picnic area and recreational space
- Events space
- Visitor Centre including a shop, gallery and café
- Visitor parking for up to 200 cars
- Youth Adventure Site
- A community orchard and allotments
These in turn would have the following benefits to the Community:
- A safe, managed recreational space for people of all ages to enjoy
- Sustainable sources of income for the communities of Broadford and South Skye
- Economic benefits to local businesses
- A space for native plants and wildlife to thrive, enhancing local biodiversity
- Land for the use of future generationss.
For more information please contact us at: