Our volunteers make sure that nothing goes to waste.
The Community Fridge reduces waste by sharing excess end of life food from our local Co-op supermarket. When possible we also share fresh produce from the Growers Hub, grown by our Community Gardener.
The Fridge was developed as one of our responses to the Covid-19 pandemic. We were initially approached by the Skye and Lochalsh Community Foodbank, who had been offered surplus food from the Co-op but didn’t have the capacity to distribute it. We were delighted to step in to help reduce waste in our area, initially through a Food Share and then through the Community Fridge.
Our brilliant volunteers collect the food, open and close the fridge six days a week, and ensure that all health and safety procedures are followed. On average we have at least five large boxes of food every day, and every bit of it goes. We also have a few books and clothes for people to take away.
We would like to thank our volunteers and the Co-op and their staff for their support.
The fridge is located in the centre of Broadford behind Love Skye. It is open Monday – Saturday 11 – 3. So that everyone can benefit from the fridge we ask that people only take what they need. We always welcome new volunteers.
The fridge project evolved from our community response to the Covid pandemic. From early April 2020 our volunteers picked up excess stock from the Co-op and provided a Food Share at Broadford Village Hall six nights a week. The Food Share was a success and we knew that the project needed to be developed. So with funding support we opened the Community Fridge in a central Broadford location.
We also provide storage space to the Skye and Lochalsh Community Foodbank, a separate independent organisation. Anyone is in food need is advised to contact the Foodbank directly via their Facebook page.
How to get involved
Contact us if you are interested in volunteering.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to everyone who supported our community during the Covid-19 pandemic…
Special thanks to everyone who supported Broadford and Strath Community Company with their Covid-19 response during 2020-21:
- HIE who facilitated the Scottish Government Supporting Communities Grant
- Corra Foundation
- Highland Council Ward Discretionary Fund
- Community Donations
- The Community Foodbank Skye and Lochalsh for their invaluable support and partnership working.
- The Broadford Cooperative staff who were so helpful and supportive.
- Elgol Shop for their food donations.
- Camping Skye for the use of their space to get the project started.
- The Broadford Village Hall who allowed us to use their grounds each evening for the Food Share.
- John at the Hebridean Inn who donated his time and kitchen to prepare meals for the Meal Share.
- Strath Print for printing our meal share stickers free of charge.
- The helpers and growers at our Community Allotments at the Growers Hub.
- Tracy who volunteered her Broadford Outdoor Learning experience to the Broadford Primary School.
- RagTag who donated face masks to be shared with the community.
- Broadford Library who donated books and magazines.
And of course the biggest thank you to the over 100 volunteers who supported the Food and Meal Share and those who continue to support our Community Fridge. None it of it would be possible without you!