Broadford and Strath Community Company have been awarded the Queens Award for Voluntary Service and we are just delighted! Thanks to everyone who has supported us, and continues to support us, and helps us do what we do. We are feeling quite overwhelmed.
Pictured here are just some of our volunteers, and there are many more working away in the background, making things happen for Broadford and Strath.
The Broadford and Strath Community Company (BSCC) has as its core mission to create a strong self-sufficient, inclusive and eco-friendly community. The charity was established in 2003 with an emphasis on environmental enhancement and has grown substantially through a wide range of community projects. To date the volunteer run BSCC has raised close to 2 million pounds for their Community.
Established projects to date:
- Purchase of a 23ha community owned forest
- Creation of a successful community campsite
- Creation of a Grower’s Hub with the following components:
- Community Allotments
- School and youth growing projects
- Men’s Shed
- Flourish mental health project
- Hotbins compost project
- Forest School and outdoor learning project
- A well-maintained path network with bridges
- Community Garden
- Annual village Christmas trees and Christmas lights
- Design stage of the Skye Cycle Way
- The umbrella for many small local bespoke projects
- Community Gardener supporting with shared green areas and growing
- Redevelopment of the Elgol public toilets
- New build of the Broadford public toilets
- Asset transfer for land adjacent to Camping Skye with the hope of installing community space, additional campervan spaces and a bike track.
- Asset transfer for the Broadford public toilets
- Partner in the development of a Community Campus at the new Broadford Primary School
- Facilitating a Project Officer for Skye and Raasay for the Highland Community Waste Partnership
In response to the Covid19 emergency we developed a:
- Community Fridge – reducing food waste
- Food share from our community polytunnel running “pick your own salad” days
- Meal delivery programme delivering over 4700 meals in Broadford and Strath over lockdown